Thursday, March 3, 2016

Following God's Timing



Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will direct your paths.


This morning I am trying to answer the question "When do I find it the hardest and the easiest to wait for God's timing?"

Think about that for just a minute. I have to admit that I never find it easy to wait, not as a child for Christmas and certainly not as an adult. I want it all and I want it now. Waiting has always seemed the hardest for me when life is difficult.


There was an 8-10 year stretch in my career, where I wanted a certain job title very badly. I did everything, that I could think of and was within my morals (no, this wasn't like an episode of “The Apprentice”), to get that job title. My supervisor promised me the promotion for years. Every year at review time, he came up with another excuse. As the excuses built, I became more and more frustrated. Our department was reorganized and I was eventually moved to another department. My job gradually turned into something completely different. As people retired I was given more and more responsibility but still the dream title never came. I went back to school because I thought maybe an education would finally do the trick. It didn’t. I finally gave up trying and took a different career path, when I saw the opportunity . A funny thing happened, once I moved into the alternate career path I very quickly got several promotions. I wasn’t terribly happy with the work but, in a matter of a couple years I was at an equivalent level to my dream title. 

Then I finally saw a job posting for my dream position and it was even in an office that I really wanted to work. I applied, interviewed and was offered the position. I’ve been doing work the work I dreamed of and love for a couple years. As I look back, if I had been given the title 10 years ago, I don't think I would have been able to do the job as well. So much of the experiences that I had during the years I spent struggling have been crucial to excelling in my current position. The waiting wasn't fun but it was worth it.

I probably I owe all those people who I felt held me back or that I thought were deliberately hurting me an apology for the dark thoughts I had about them. Because now it all seems like it worked out in Gods timing. Well, maybe I won't apologize but I'll say a little prayer for them. I only hope that the next time God says "just a minute, you're not ready yet" I'll have ears ready to hear him and the patience to wait.

I try to wake up and say "Good Morning, Lord what do you want of me today?" And I will continue to muddle through life, just like the millions (or are we up to billions) of other people who are on this planet.

May God's Peace be with you,

Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment