Wednesday, March 16, 2016

James 3:13

NLT


If you are wise and understand God’s ways, prove it by living an honorable life, doing good works with the humility that comes from wisdom.

NIV

Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom.

I find it interesting that the same passage can elicit such different responses in my heart.

When I read the first version, it makes me want to be a better person. I want to try to live a good life not because it’ll get me to heaven or earn me special favor but because it’s the right thing to do as a Christian. It's a way to show God that I love Him.

When I read the second version, I think of the Pharisees and feel like giving up. I am not wise or have a lot of understanding, so why should I bother trying. I am a simple person just trying to muddle through this life the best that I can.

This exercise proved to me that it is worthwhile, useful and a good practice to look at different bible versions when reading even what seems like a simple verse. It really can make a difference to how my heart hears God's word.


Do you do this?



God's Peace,

Crystal










No comments:

Post a Comment